Well, my Neon finally died. After owning it for 8 years, and putting 127,000 miles on the clock, the final tally came to:
- Reverse lights no longer worked
- When braking, the left turn signal would turn on solidly and stay there
- Clutch was slipping really badly. (This was the final straw)
- At low speed when turning, there was an odd thunking feeling to the wheels, like they were egg shaped or something. (At highway speeds, it was fine)
- Handbrake would lose its ratchet at times
So... time for a new car. I ended up getting a rather spiffy brand new Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon. Some people tell me that the wagon part will make it more difficult to pick up chicks, because it makes it look like I have kids. Me, I'm just thinking it'll be handy for going on camping trips.
Oddly, for a turbocharged car that takes premium gas, because I'm taking it easy driving it (break-in period, dontcha know), I'm actually getting better gas mileage than I expected. If the gauge is at all correct, I'm getting about 28mpg - which isn't bad at all, especially for Seattle. My Neon would get that (before the clutch started going), so I'm pretty happy all in all.
And it's peppy. It has Get up and Go. Vim. Vigor. All that good stuff. Basically, it moves like shit off a shovel. And it's bright shiny blue, which is always a plus in my book.
I'm just going to hate the payments though :( One of the great things of having paid off a car is not having to care about the payments any more, and this'll be about $460 a month out of my pocket that I'm really going to miss.
Ah well, if I quit smoking and eat in at lunch, cook at home more, I shouldn't miss it that much. And given that I'm not going to smoke in my new car, I might be able to manage that.(more...)